Hampden Lodge Pour Bien Desirer

In the 1820s another Hall was built alongside Sandby’s Hall to designs by Sir John Soane but his work, sadly, disappeared during the building of the second Freemasons’ Hall in the 1860s, to designs by Frederick Pepys Cockerill. Property had been acquired to the west of the existing Hall and Cockerill produced a severely classical design, incorporating Sandy’s 1775 Grand Hall – which survived until 1932 when severe structural damage resulting from a fire in 1883 led to its demolition. Cockerill’s Freemasons’ Hall was largely demolished to make way for the current building but its eastern end survives as part of the Connaught Rooms.


Freemasons Hall circa 1886